Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Adventures in Nursing, Part 4

Before I share this story with my readers, let me say, I am not incomfortable with naked people. It is part of my job to deal with people who are being examined nude. I have seen more naked people than I would have liked in my workings as a nurse and throughout nursing school. However, this episode of nakedness did make me feel a little awkward, you'll see why...

Story 4: THE AUSSIE SURPRISE

One night, I was assigned, joy of joy, an Australian patient who was coming in for cervidil. Cervidil is a medication that is placed vaginally to soften the cervix. We use it to get patients ready for induction. The patient was this beautiful Australian amazon woman and to my enjoyment her husband was Australian too. I love any accents especially Irish, English, Scottish, Aussie or Kiwi. They were super sweet and fun to talk to so I took my time doing the admission paperwork. We let our patients eat dinner when they have cervidil placed because then they are not starving when we don't let them eat all the next day. The patient's husband decided to go out and get them some food from a restaurant. The patient and her husband ate, the husband drank some beer, which is a little odd to do in the hospital but, whatever floats your boat.

Anyway, not to describe their whole night, but they went to sleep and the patient was to call if she needed help up to the bathroom because she had been given Ambien to help her rest. Our cervidil patients sometimes have cramping during the night, plus they have to be on continuous monitoring for the baby which involves big belts around their waists. The funny thing was the patient called me several times in the night and each time I went in the room she kept getting more and more naked. The patient had decided to wear her own pajamas instead of a hospital gown. It was a cute little tank top and pant combo with the tank top opened from just under the breasts down to allow room for her belly to stick out.

The more times I came in, the more I felt like I was at a very slowed paced strip show. First, came the pants, understandable, they do get warm. Then, the top, getting a little more incomfortable. Then, the last time I went in the nakedness climaxed. The patient was completely naked except for her two monitoring belts. But that wasn't the shocker. The patient's husband, who had been asleep all the other times I had come in, he got up and helped me get his wife to the bathroom, IN ONLY BIKINI UNDERWEAR!!! I don't know if Australians have a little different view on nudity, but that was the first time I had seen one of my patient's husbands almost completely naked. The underwear didn't leave a lot to the imagination to say the least.

We still got along fine, but I did make sure that when I went to visit her on the postpartum floor the next night that it was WAY before bedtime. No more nudey shows for me! Just thought I would share this story, I was inspired by Holly's X-rated Petting Zoo story.

1 comment:

Holly Grant said...

Sam-
Anytime I can inspire conversations of nakedness, I have done my job successfully...