Wednesday, March 11, 2009

If My Life Was a Romance Novel/Romantic Movie...


As I was listening to my book on CD the other day, I was pondering how my life does not mimic a romance novel in any way. Initially, I was disappointed because I think we all want to feel like we have stepped out the pages of a Julie Garwood, Amanda Quick, Sandra Brown or Linda Howard novel. Or, if you are not a romance fan, off the screen of "Pretty in Pink", "Love Actually", or "The Notebook" (I am not a personal fan of that one, but to each her own). I notice that when I read too many romance novels in a row, or watch too many girlie movies, I start feeling disappointed that my life is so "boring" and "unromantic". This time, however, I decided to think of all the ways my life would change if I were the starring character in a romantic story, rather than my normal life.

First, if I were a romantic heroine, I would probably not be able to have my current job. Not that being a nurse is not romantic... it is... ever heard of the Florence Nightingale effect? But it wouldn't be very romantic for the heroine to sit in a hallway, talking on the phone and typing on her computer all day. Especially, if she only talked to women about "female" issues. I would have to be an army nurse, nursing some poor soldier back to health, or an ER nurse, who meets a police officer who is investigating a gunshot victim. Did I mention that I mostly read romantic suspense so most of my heroine ideas have murder and mayhem involved?

Second, I would not be able to be aware of my own beauty. Romantic heroines never think that they are beautiful or usually even pretty. They always have some feature that they think is horrible, but one special man thinks is fabulous. It might sound conceited, but I have never felt ugly. Overweight, yes, but I have always secretly thought of myself as a pretty, curvy woman. I would never be like Amelia Peabody from the Miss Peabody novels who worries about my "mishapped figure with a overly ample bosom and small waist". Even with my occasional self esteem issues, I have way too much confidence in my looks to be a successful heroine.

Third, even though my relationship with Taylor was precarious in high school, it has really not been since then and I don't think that I would question his love enough. Women in romance novels and romantic movies are never really sure of their significant other's love. They are constantly questioning the man's love in their mind and never just asking him. I have had my moments where I don't feel like I am the shimmering light in Taylor's world, but I have never really worried that he didn't love me. Then again, he is a man who speaks his mind, and I'm sure that if he stopped loving me or never had, he would tell me in no uncertain terms.

Finally, I don't usually have any major disasters arising in my life. Not to say that I never will, but I have not had a lot of occasions for Taylor to prove his love. I have never been kidnapped by a rival admirer, been struck down with a debilitating disease or been forced to chase Taylor down before he left on a train or plane for some foreign country. Knock on wood about all those things. Although, I don't really see the kidnapping problem ever arising.

So, if you are ever reading too much Danielle Steel and get grumpy with your significant other for not carrying you off into the sunset, just consider what your life would really be like with a little too much romance.

(By the way, I just thought the picture above illustrated my point, I don't really read those kinds of romance novels. Just for those of you who might secretly be judging me for reading Harlequin romances.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know when you got so clever. I love these little posts you do about interesting topics. I know what you mean about reading books and then wondering why your life seems just "normal". Of course, if you read the books your Dad calls my "dead baby" books, you would think that you are so glad you don't have a disease or live in a war-torn country.

And, there is nothing wrong with Harlequin romances. Or Barbara Cartland romances. I love a happy ending!

Holly Grant said...

Who gave you that picture of Ben and me? How embarrassing but isn't Ben so ripply and muscly!?

I have only read a couple of romance novels but I do know the drama involved in the story lines. I hate drama and really like my peaceful stable relationship Ben and I have. I would take boring over drama filled romance anyday. AND, I think if Ben spewed the cheesy lines in the books or movies, I would look at him and go "oh please, you are such an idiot!!!" Those cheesy lines really only work in the movies with the soft music in the background!

Sam said...

Sorry for posting the embarassing photo of you and Ben. Did you know it is just out there on the internet? Under google images no less. I agree about the boring, stable relationships. I am picturing Taylor telling me, "You complete me" in my mind and I am laughing.

Holly Grant said...

Totally Sam, you got what I was saying. "You complete me" only works with Bruce Springstreen singing a song written especially for the scene and Tom Cruise (circa 1995). If Ben said that to me, I would laugh in his face. Thank you for your comment, I left one for you on my blog as well. Nothing big.
Anyway, we are excited to get back to Texas also. I don't think Ben is going to walk since we would have to come back to Georgia for graduation so Cheri and I have talked about trying to have a party at his parent's house. Total house party. Everyone who's anyone will be there. Mid May. Be there or die.