Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Tribute to the 80s, Movies!

After my post a week or two ago about things from the 1980s, I have been reminiscing about growing up in the 80s and 90s. I have decided to start a series dedicated to all the things that I thought made the 80s great and yet so lame! I was truly a kid in the 80s as I was born in 1982 (just dated myself there) so I will probably have a lot of true kid stuff in this series. You will have to wait for Tribute to the 90s for embarrassing teenage pictures and memories. So grab ahold of your inner child as we travel back and review some awesome movies of the 1980s!
The Goonies- I don't think I actually got all that into this movie until the early 90s but it is technically an 80s movie. I still love this one, and watch it often. I think this is one of the first movies where you really see kids swearing and it is hilarious! "Goonies never say die!"
Ghostbusters- I still love this movie and just watched it the other day. A classic! I also loved the cartoon show as a kid! Pippi Longstocking- This is a great one, and if you missed it as a child I feel sorry for you. I mean, what could be cooler? A kid who lives in a house all by herself and gets to do whatever she wants. I especially loved the scene where they mopped the floor with scrub brushes attached to their feet. Doesn't work by the way, very disappointing. However, wrapping wet washcloths on your feet and then skating around the kitchen works okay, not too affective for cleaning the floor though. Karate Kid- I thought that Ralph Macchio was about the hottest guy ever! As much as you can think a guy is hot when you are in elementary school anyway. Great movie! "Wax on, Wax off"
My Little Pony: The Movie- Again, if you missed this one, shame on you! If you have ever played with My Little Ponies, this is a must! I used to sit and watch this while holding and playing with my own ponies.
Troll- Okay, you may laugh, but I thought this was the scariest movie ever as a kid! I don't know how I ended up watching this, but I can remember that it freaked me out! I saw it a few months ago, one afternoon on Cinemax and it was not really scary anymore, funny how that happens.
Care Bears Movie II- Some may judge me for not picking Care Bears: The Movie, but I liked the plot of this one better. The first movie is set in a circus and the second a camp. I really like the second one best!
Finally, The Chipmunks Adventure- I used to be obsessed with this movie! It is great, I would probably still watch it, even though I was never that big of a chipmunks fan before this movie.

I know that I have missed many 80s essentials like Sixteen Candles, Pretty in Pink, The Breakfast Club, Mystic Pizza, etc...but I tried to keep this to movies that I ACTUALLY watched in the 80s. Hence, the kiddie theme. Please do not think that I do not consider the above movies great along with plenty of others. I was just trying to keep this as short as possible, really hard to do for a movie lover such as myself.

No comments: